Still trying to get the hang of this new publishing format. A quick test today.. something that’s been popular recently as it’s a lot lighter than a regular cake and very quick to knock up with infinite filling variations. You can also make the base even more quickly using a pre-bought granola, blended up in a food processor briefly with a tablespoon or two of butter.
The filling can be made vegan or non just as easily. If you go regular, the sour cream really makes a different and refreshing change. Vegan suggestions would be to use the top of a can of coconut milk – the thick cream part, or a little lighter, a blended cashew nut filling with a little soya milk to thin it.. see how you get on.
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- ½ cup oats
- ½ cup walnuts
- ½ cup butter/vegan butter like Earth Balance
- ¼ cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup greek yoghurt or vegan yoghurt
- 1 /2 cup sour cream or vegan cream with a tablespoon of lemon juice
- 2 tbs unrefined sugar
- 2 tbs cornflour
- Flavouring suggestions: blend in 1 lemon and grated lemon rind or fresh berries to the filling
- 1. preheat your oven to 350 degrees and cut your baking parchment to fit an 8" dish.
- 2. toast the walnuts for 10 minutes in the oven, then blend with the rest of the ingredients for the crust. Press firmly into your pie plate.
- 3. Now blend all the ingredients for your chosen filling. and spread over the base.
- 4. Bake for 30 minutes, remove and let cool, then chill for at least another hour to firm up.
- have an experiment with different fillings. Try blending a half cup of soaked cashew nuts into the filling mix for a timer and denser texture.