|Photo not great, sauce excellent.|
Over the years I have introduced Adam to the North American necessity of condiments, especially the requirement of specific ones for specific dishes. One of my favourite condiments used to be Franks Hot Sauce, the one that comes on chicken wings in diners across the US. The sauce Adam made yesterday comes close to that, without using onions or garlic and I made sure to get the recipe from him while it was fresh in his mind so we could have it again and again.
Adam’s Famous Hot Sauce
(makes about 3 cups)
6 dried red chillies, soaked for 30 minutes in boiling water
4 stalks of celery
2 red bell peppers
2 tbsp oil (ground nut, vegetable etc)
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
4 cups water
- Drain the chillies, peel and seed them.
- Chop the bell pepper and celery into small pieces.
- Heat the oil over medium in a state pan and add the pepper and celery, sauté until soft, about 5 mins.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, including the chillies and the water and simmer partially covered for 30 to 40 minutes until it has thickened.
- Let cool and then blend the sauce until smooth, a hand held blender is ideal. At this point you can adjust the water to your desired consistency by either adding more water or further cooking to reduce the sauce.
- Cool completely and pour into a sterilised jar.