|Aubergine or eggplant ‘bacon’|
We completed the meal with lentils and herbed yoghurt, tomato and basil salad , avocado and homemade focaccia, very continental no?
Aubergine (Eggplant) Bacon (adapted from Julia’s Vegan Kitchen)
1 large aubergine (or equivalent small ones) sliced into .5cm thick slices
2 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
2 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp liquid smoke
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- Mix all of the ingredients from tamari together in a bowl.
- Place the aubergine slices in a wide pan and pour the liquid over top. Marinade covered for at least one hour, turning to make sure all of the aubergine slices have equal marinating.
- Preheat the oven to 200 C / 350 F.
- Place the aubergine slices on cookie sheets so that they are not overlapping each other and pour remaining marinade on top.
- Bake for 40 minutes, turning the slices over halfway through.