- Add all the ingredients except the fresh herbs, chickpea flour and 1 tbs of the olive oil to a food processor. Blend into a smooth paste.
- Now add the fresh herbs and gradually mix in the chickpea flour until the mixture is dry enough to shape into small balls (you may have to add more or less according to how it feels).
- Grease a plate with a little oil and lay the shaped falafels on the plate and put in the fridge for at least an hour. They will firm up a bit more.
- If oven baking, grease your pan with another tablespoon of olive oil and place the falafel in a preheated oven at about 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes. For a slightly more crispy and less dry texture you can drizzle a little olive oil over the top of each one as you turn them after 15 minutes. If you’re cooking them in a pan, be sure to heat the oil for a few minutes in medium high so when you add the falafel they won’t stick much. Again, if you like crispier, increase the oil a little. Turn half way and cook until golden on both sides.
Vegan Yoghurt Sauce
1 tsp salt
1 cup silken tofu
1 tbs olive oil
juice of half a lemon
1 tbs yeast flakes
1 tsp mustard powder
handful chopped fresh mint
- Peel and grate the cucumber into a bowl. Toss with the salt and set aside for an hour.
- Meanwhile blend the silken tofu, olive oil, lemon juice, yeast flakes and mustard powder in a food processor until smooth.
- Now squeeze all the liquid out of the cucumber and mix well with the silken tofu and chopped fresh mint. Serve chilled.