|not pure-white inside like a bounty due to using unrefined sugar|
Bounty Bars (makes about 12)
1/2 cup unrefined cane sugar
1 cup water
2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
1/4 cup soya milk
2 tbs coconut oil
4 tbs plain/rice flour
2 tbs coconut essence
1 tbs vanilla essence
pinch of salt
150g cooking chocolate broken into small pieces
1. First make the sugar syrup. Place the sugar and water in a pan and set on the stove to boil, stirring regularly. When it comes to the boil, turn down and simmer for another ten minutes, stirring constantly until it thickens and becomes slightly viscous. Set aside to cool slightly.
2. Now add the coconut, soya milk and coconut oil to the pan and set over a medium-low heating stirring continuously until the mixture becomes a thick and fairly stiff dough. This should take only a few minutes. Take off the heat and stir in the rest of the ingredients. Let cool.
3. When cool enough to handle, shape into small bars of about 2 inches long and 1 inch wide. Place in the freezer for half an hour to firm up some more.
4. Just before you plan to make them set a heat-proof bowl onto of a pan (large enough to hold it safely) half full of water. Bring the water to a steady boil and add the chocolate to the bowl. Keep stirring until the chocolate has fully melted and take the bowl carefully off the pan and place in the kitchen counter.
5. Now take the coconut bars out of the freezer and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper. Dip the bars quickly in the chocolate making sure the whole thing is completely coated, then place on the baking sheet. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before giving in to temptation and trying one..