Chocolate Cream Pie (makes one 9″ pie)
For the crust
1 cup oats
1/2 cup spelt flour
1 tbs unrefined sugar
1/4 cup oil or butter
1 tbs milk or water
pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9″ pie plate
- In a large bowl sift the oats, flour, sugar and salt together. Then rub in the butter until you have a texture of fine-breadcrumbs. Now stir in the milk and press, firmly, into your pie-plate.
- Bake for 10 minutes until slightly browned. Take out and cool on a rack. Keep the oven on, you’ll need it again.
For the Filling
1 cup milk or non-dairy milk
1/2 cup silken tofu
1/4 cup cashews (soaked overnight if possible and then drained)
1/4 cup good quality cocoa-powder (I use Green & Blacks)
1/4 cup agave or maple syrup
1 tsp agar flakes
- Meanwhile, as the crust bakes, make the filling. Place a 1/4 cup of the milk in a small saucepan with the agar flakes. Place on a low heat, stirring regularly, for about 10 minutes until the flakes are completely dissolved into the milk.
- At the same time, place the rest of the ingredients in a blender an blend, on and off for a few minutes until you have a very smooth mixture.
- Pour the agar-milk mixture into the blender and briefly blend again.
- Pour over the base and smooth. Bake for 20 minutes, then cool for half and hour before places in the fridge. Wait at least a couple of hours until the pie cools and firms up before serving.