You can make a great vegan version of this by swapping out the dairy for vegan versions. Just remember to add a tablespoon of cider-vinegar to help in place of the yoghurt to rise the bread, reacting with the baking soda .
Easy Soda Bread
1 cup strong white bread flour
1/4 cup plain white flour
3/4 cup wholemeal flour
2 tbs each of sunflower, pumpkin,
1 tbs each of sesame, flaxseed
2 tsp baking soda
1 cup buttermilk (or sub yoghurt if you can’t find; 3/4 cup beaten with 1/4 cup water)
2 tbs molasses
3 tbs butter
- Preheat your oven to 390 degrees and grease a baking tray
- In a large bowl sift the flours together with the baking soda and salt.
- Over medium low heat in a small saucepan stir together the buttermilk, molasses and butter until the butter is completely melted. Let cool slightly.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry, bit by bit, using minimal number of strokes, until you can just about gather up a wet tacky but firm dough.
- Shape into a round and place the loaf on the prepared tray. It should be about 2 inches high and 8″ wide. Score a cross an inch thick through the dough from both ends.
- Bake for 45-1 hr, checking after 40 minutes. If the bread sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom it’s done.