|Indian Four Bean Salad|
Four Bean Indian Salad
Adapted from Mysore Style Cooking by V. Sandhya
250 g (8oz) green beans
1 handful fresh dill, chopped
4-5 tbsp toor dhal
4-5 tbsp mung beans (whole)
4 tbsp sprouted mung beans
4 tbsp minced red bell pepper
4 – 5 cups of water
Salt to taste
1 tsp oil
1 tsp black mustard seeds
2 red chillies, minced
1/2 tsp asafetida
2 tbsp coconut, (grated fresh is ideal if you have it, we used dried)
- Chop green beans into small pieces. Chop the dill finely.
- In a heavy bottomed pot place the toor dhal and mung beans and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, until soft not mushy.
- Add the chopped fresh green beans and dill. Cook well until they become just soft.
- Add salt to taste, then drain the water and set both broth aside and place the vegetables in a large bowl.
- Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed saute pan, add the mustard seeds and when they pop add the chillies and asafetida, then the grated coconut. Stir for a few minutes, then add to the vegetables along with the bell pepper, stir and serve immediately or chill for later.
- Sandhya recommends that you can drink the remaining broth anytime with pepper and lemon juice added.