Pizzocherri (serves 4)
For the Pasta
1 cup buckwheat flour
3/4 cup white flour
1 tbs gluten flour (optional)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2-2/3 cup warm water
1 tbs olive oil
- Mix the flours and salt together in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the olive oil and 1/2 cup of the water. Start to gather the dough together, adding more water if you need in order to achieve a very stiff dough. Kneed for about 3-5 minutes until the dough is smooth.
- Leave to rest for 20 minutes covered, then divide into 3 balls and keeping the remaining ones covered, roll out each ball into a thin rectangular sheet roughly 3mm thin. Dust the sheet well with flour and roll up like a jelly roll. Cut into tagliatelle noodles about 1/4 inch thick.
- Dust these noodles again with flour and roll up into little nests on a clean work-surface to dry out until you need them.
For the rest of the dish
2 medium potatoes peeled and cut into 1cm cubes
3 cups cabbage chopped into thin ribbons
1 stick celery
3 tbs butter
1/3 cup grated parmigiano cheese
3/4 cup grated fontina cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Bring another smaller pan to the boil and cook the potatoes until just tender.
- In a third pan blanch the cabbage in boiling water for 3 minutes then drain and refresh under cold water immediately.
- As the potatoes and cabbage are cooking melt the butter and add the celery. Saute until it softens then add the drained cabbage, saute for a few minutes more then add the potatoes and season well with salt and pepper.
- Cook the buckwheat noodles in the large pan of boiling water for 5 minutes or until tender. Add these to the vegetable and on a low heat warm through. Add the cheeses and, stir to combine briefly and then cover for another 5 minutes to allow the cheese to melt.