Makes 1 12″ Pie (roughly 8 slices)
1 cup oats
1/2 cup spelt flour
1/4 cup vegan spread or butter
2 tbs sugar
2 tbs vegan milk/milk
pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease the pie-plate well.
- Sift the flour, oats, salt and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the milk in teaspoon by teaspoon until you have a moist dough you can firmly press into your pie-plate
- Bake for 15 minutes and let cool whilst you make the filling.
1/2 cup vegan milk/milk
1/4 cup cream/cashews soaked and blended to a paste with a touch of water
1/4 cup agave/maple syrup
1/4 cup dried flaked coconut
2 tsp agar flakes
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
pinch of salt
- Place the pumpkin in a roasting tray cut side down. Roast for 30 minutes, checking after 30 minutes with a knife. It should be completely soft through the skin. If it’s not, return for another 15 minutes to the oven.
- Remove the pumpkin and let cool slightly before peeling off the skin, scooping out the seeds and roughly chopping.
- Whilst you wait for the pumpkin to cool dissolve the agar flakes with the milk over a low heat, stirring continuously for 5 minutes, until you can no longer se any flakes in with the milk.
- Now place the pumpkin and milk in a blender along with the rest of the ingredients apart from the coconut. Blend well into a smooth paste.
- Place the coconut in a pan over a low heat and slowly stir, toasting to a couple of shades darker. This should take about five minutes. Be careful, it easily burns.
- In the meantime, spread your filling over the cooled crust in the pan. Now sprinkle the coconut flakes over the top evenly and chill to set the pie of at least 2 hours, preferable overnight. Serve with cream, vegan cream or tahini goes well too.