|my first attempt at a food photo here in India|
makes 6 servings
For the crust
1/3 cup plain white flour
1/3 cup wholemeal flour
2 tbs sugar
1 tbs cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup coconut oil (chilled overnight or for n hour in the fridge until solid)
3-4 tsp cold water
- preheat your oven to 180 degrees and grease or line a small cake tin.
- sift the flour, sugar, salt and cinnamon together in a large mixing bowl.
- slowly rub in the coconut oil until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the cold water a tablespoon at a time and slowly gather the dough together into a smooth ball, using only enough water as is required to do so.
- press into a greased/parchment lined cake tin and prick all over with a fork. Bake for about 10 minutes.
For the cheesecake
4 cups pumpkin (cut into cubes)
1/2 cup non-dairy milk
2 tsp cornflour
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup apple juice
1 tsp agar flakes
- Cook the pumpkin in plenty of water for 10-15 minutes or until soft.
- Drain and mash or blend it. Then set it in a fine-mesh sieve or cheesecloth and drain it for an hour until it is fairly dry and a lot of the water has seeped out.
- Drain the cashews and place them in a food-processor with the milk, sugar, cornflour and vanilla extract. Blend for a 30 seconds. stop to let the motor rest and then repeat a few more times until you have a smooth mixture.
- PLace the apple juice on the stove over a low heat with the agar. keep whisking until the agar flakes are completely dissolved in the liquid and then add this to the contents of the food processor along with the pumpkin puree. Blend again.
- PLace in the fridge for about 4 hours or until set.