Spelt Berry Kidney Bean Salad with Apple, Sultanas and Toasted Walnuts
1 cup spelt berries
1 cup kidney beans
1 stick celery
1/2 red pepper
1 apple (peeled and cored)
2 handfuls fresh parsley
1/4 cup sultanas
1/4 cup walnuts
4 tbs olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
3 tbs sherry vinegar (or another of your choice)
1 tsp dried basil, thyme, oregano
2 tsp honey or agave syrup
1 tsp salt and generous grinding of black pepper
- Rinse the kidney beans and spelt berries separately in a few changes of water. Then place in two different bowls and top with water by a couple of inches. Leave to soak overnight.
- In the morning, or after 8 hours, drain, place the berries and beans in two different pans, fill with water and bring to the boil. Now partially cover and simmer both for around 1 1/2 hrs or until soft.
- As the beans and spelt berries are cooking assemble the salad. Finely dice the pepper and celery and place in a large bowl. Now mince the parsley and grate the apple. Add these to the bowl.
- Place a frying pan on the stove over medium-low heat and toast the walnuts for 4-5 minutes until they darken a shade. Add to the salad ingredients.
- Immerse the sultanas in boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain and add.
- To make the dressing combine the olive oil, lemon juice, herbs, vinegar and honey or agave in a food processor or whisk well in a bowl.
- To assemble the salad, add the cooked kidney beans and spelt berries whilst they are still warm to the raw vegetables; they will take on the flavours better as they cool. Pour over the dressing and mix well. Serve chilled or at room temperature with a little Tofu-mayo or your favourite condiment.