Swedish Meatballs (serves 4)
1 1/2 cups TVP (soya mince, chunks)
2 cups hot stock (or water)
1 tbs butter or olive oil
1 stick celery
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 cup milk/non-dairy milk
1 tsp allspice
2 tbs chopped herbs – dill, parsley
salt and pepper
- Soak the tvp in the boiling stock or water for 30 minutes covered until it has softened. Drain, setting the stock aside. Pulse 3 or 4 times into mince in a food processor.
- Heat the oil or butter and add the celery and bay leaf. Saute over a medium low until the celery starts to soften and add the tvp and s little of the reserved stock to moisten. Saute until the liquid has all but evaporated and then add a little more, Repeat this process of couple of times and then set aside to cool.
- Add the breadcrumbs, allspice, fresh herbs and seasoning and mix well. Now slowly add the milk until you can gather the mixture into small balls without it falling apart.
- Shape all the mixture into balls and then place on a plate in the fridge to chill for at least an hour. This will firm them up a little more.
- Now heat 2 tablespoons of oil for frying the balls in a heavy bottomed pan. When the oil has had chance to heat for a couple of minutes (the balls should sizzle when dropped into the hot oil – effectively sealing them from not collapsing) carefully place all the balls in the oil. Be careful, however not to overcrowd the pan. You may need to do them in two batches. Fry, turning, until golden on all sides.
Creamy Vegan Gravy
1 tbs olive oil
1 tbs flour
2 cups stock
1 cup soya milk
2 tbs nutritional yeast flakes
1/4 cup ground cashews (soaked for 2 hrs, then drained and ground into a paste with a little water)
1 tsp mustard powder
1 tbs miso
Juice of 1 lemon
salt and pepper
- In a small heavy bottomed saucepan heat the olive oil over a low heat. Add the flour and toast for a few minutes until it starts to brown.
- Add the stock slowly whisking to incorporate the flour. If it remains lumpy then blend with a hand-held blender ( or carefully tip into a normal blender and then back into the pan).
- Now add all the rest of the ingredients, except the miso and lemon juice. Simmer partially covered for 15 minutes until the sauce has thickened to your desired consistency. Stir in the miso, add the lemon juice and season.