|Full meal with the wonder gravy|
|The definitive ‘slab of something’ photo. tastes good though..|
Tempeh Meat Loaf
4 tbs sunflower or other flavourless oil
200g/ 1/2 pound of tempeh
1/3 cup ketchup
1/3 cup light miso
1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
1 tbs mustard
2 tbs unsweetened soya milk or other dairy free milk
1/2 cup gluten flour
1 stalk celery chopped into fine dice
1 carrot chopped into fine dice
1 tomato chopped into small pieces
1 tbs fresh oregano, thyme, parsley, sage, rosemary (or 1 tsp each dried)
salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and lightly oil a baking sheet with 1 tbs of the oil.
- Shred the tempeh in a food processor and mix it with the ketchup, miso, nutritional yeast, mustard and soya mil in a large mixing bowl. Turn on to you prepared baking tray, cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile use another tablespoon of oil to grease a 9-5″ baking tin. Set aside.
- Heat another tablespoon of oil in a medium frying pan. Saute the celery and carrot and when they begin to soften, about 5 minutes, add the herbs and continue to fry for another minute or so, stirring as you do.
- Add the hot tempeh mixture to the contents of the frying pan and stir to blend.
- Transfer the mixture to your prepared baking tray and smooth down. Baste the top of the loaf with the remaining tablespoon of oil and bake for 25 minutes. Uncover and continue baking for another 20 minutes or until the top os a golden brown.
Red Wine Gravy
2 tablespoon sunflower or other neutral tasting oil
2 tbs flour
1 tablespoon tomato puree
2 cups stock or water
1 cup wine (we use these ones)
1 tablespoon dark miso
1 tsp mustard
2 tbs soya sauce
1 tsp dried sage, rosemary and parsley (substitute 1 tbs if you’re using fresh)
- heat the oil in a heavy bottomed saucepan over a low heat. Add the flour and stir to combine. Keep stirring over a low heat for 3-5 minutes, or until the roux darkens a shade and starts to smell toasted.
- Add the rest of the ingredients off the heat and then, returning the pan to the heat start to whisk the mixture to get rid of any lumps. Do not let boil.
- Semi cover the pan over a medium-low heat and simmer for another 25 minutes, stirring regularly. If it has not thickened substantially enough, uncover and turn up the heat, stirring constantly, for another 5 minutes until reduced.