|Vegan Chorizo Sausage|
I challenged Adam to a week of Spanish tapas, and we were both very pleasantly surprised at the outcome of the challenge and can now appreciate this way of eating in our own way. We started with the ubiquitous Chorizo sausage, the recipe is from Isa Moskowitz’ book Vegan Brunch and was the reason I bought the book in the first place. We love these.
Chorizo Sausages adapted from Vegan Brunch by Isa Moskowitz
Makes 4 large sausages
1/4 cup cooked pinto beans, rinsed and drained and mashed with a fork until smooth
1 cup vegetable broth
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 tsp lemon zest
11/4 cups vital wheat gluten
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 tbsp smoked paprika
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 tbsp dry rubbed sage (not powdered)
1 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp cayenne (only if you like heat)
- Mix all of the wet listed ingredients together.
- Mix all of the dry ingredients together.
- Add the wet and dry and mix quickly with a fork.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces and mould into a sausage shape.
- Place each sausage on a piece of foil that has been lined with olive oil and roll up with the ends tight.
- Place the wrapped sausages in a steamer and steam for 40 minutes checking that the water doesn’t boil dry. Unwrap them as soon as they are done to avoid sogginess. Eat them right away or slice and fry or freeze until ready to use.
|Wrapped in foil|