|Vegan Curd Rice|
Vegan Curd-Rice (serves 4 as an accompanying dish)
1 cup long grained white rice
1 carrot (grated)
1 cucumber (peeled and chopped finely)
1 tomato (cored and diced)
1 small diced mango (optional)
1 tbs minced ginger root
2 green chillies (seeded and minced)
1 cup silken tofu
1 cup non-dairy milk
1 tbs nutritional yeast flakes
2 tbs vegetable/canola oil
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp salt
2 tsp chana dal
2 tsp urad dal
1 tsp asafoetida
2 tbs fresh minced coriander
- Put the rice on to boil with 2 cups of water. When it reaches a boil, turn down the heat and simmer on low-heat for 15 minutes, partially covered until almost all the water is absorbed.
- Remove from heat leaving just a tiny bit of water in the pan with the rice as this helps to mash it well. Now using a potato masher, mash the rice to a roughly smooth consistency and set aside.
- In a food processor blend the silken tofu with the milk, yeast flakes, half the oil, lemon and salt. Now add this to the rice and turn into a large bowl adding the chopped vegetables.
- Place the remaining oil in a heavy bottomed pan and set on the stove over medium heat. After a minute or so add the chana and urad dal and stir for a couple of minutes until they darken a shade. Now add the asafoetida and stir once more.
- Tip the contents of the pan into the bowl and mix everything well. Add the chopped coriander, leaving a little for garnishing and chill.